Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 4 - Meeting my first Powerblock

My first meeting with the free hand weights...

Powerblocks are supposed to be the best style of free hand weights because of the versatility in weight amounts.  http://www.powerblock.com/Sportseries.php  This is the type of Powerblocks we have.  I am interested in trying kettlebells

I started with 15 bicep curls, 15 partial dumbbell squats...my knees didn't like going too deep and 15 tricep extensions...and 25 wall push ups.  YIPPEE!!!

The smallest weight to pick up is the ten pound weight.  I am thinking this isn't the best beginner level weight to use for someone with arthritic hands.  "Please do not let me drop this on my foot!"  (Mind you...I found out after I did my 3 sets of 5, that they could be made into 5 pound weights...I'm such a noob!)

I know it doesn't sound like a lot...each one was painful in the muscles and joints.  I will only do this two times a week until I can see how the lupus reacts to this.  It's something that my rheumatologist has given partial approval on. I need to build muscle and strengthen the bone by doing the weights...but I need to not trigger a flare.

I can tell you my hands are screaming at me from just gripping the weights.  I think a hot soak will help that for now.  Tomorrow...dancing for cardio.  


I would love to hear from you on what changes you are making.  

No comments: