Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Making Small Changes...Day 1

One of the most difficult things to do when you have lupus is to make changes to your habits that work to keep you from hurting or expending too much energy...to fear the triggering of a flare...needing more meds to calm it down.  I get that.  Hell, I've pushed myself too hard just to prove I could still do something and then paid for it with a week of down time.  There is nothing wrong with adapting and making those small changes.  But what you must never do is give up completely.  There are some changes that we must make to improve our lives....our quality of living.


I am at a crossroads in my life...not fully happy with where I find myself...what I want for myself.  I see the proverbial fork in the road and I know I must take the one less traveled. Ah...Robert Frost...a wonderful poet...he stated it well in his "Road Not Taken" poem. 


"...I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by 
And that has made all the difference."


Every choice we make is the fork in the road...albeit some are very tiny forks and others are gianormous...consider doing the difficult choice, standing up for what is right just because it is the right thing to do....because being happy is truly important...because love is more than enough...WAY MORE THAN ENOUGH.


Today is the first day of my life!  I am ready for change.  I have the the goal to make one change every 21 days.  The reason for every 21 days...apparently that is how long it takes to make something new become a habit.  :) 


I will spend 15 minutes walking stairs twice a day during my days at work.  The bigger part of this goal is to be able to walk up all five flights of stairs by the end of the 21 days.  This should be enough to not aggravate my lupus or arthritis in my knees and hips while still giving me the benefit of strengthening my legs and toning my butt!!!


I will keep you all posted on my progress!

No comments: