Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tolerance and Acceptance

I heard you.  Every sarcastic, rude, snide remark as you followed me from the parking garage near my work.

Every "oink" sound.  

Every "go back to where you came from you break my eyes to look at you"

Every "Dayam, someone needs to teach you how to do make-up."

To the final, "you are so dayam ugly, maybe you should kill yourself."

All of his rhetoric was interspersed with his snickers, snorts and laughs. 

I turned around at that last comment.  I looked him straight in the face as I walked up to him.  He was shocked I finally acknowledge his existence.  I smiled and said.  "I am sure your mother raised you better than this.  I am sure your mother would be devastated that you treated another human being as you have just treated me.  I will pray for your mother's broken heart at how you have turned out, because I am sure she had high hopes for her son."   He stood there silent.  

I added, "By the way, I have lupus, I am sure you know what that is as so many role models in the music industry stand up in support of research for it."  He nodded, looking very ashamed of himself.

I turned to leave to get into my office, and he said, "I am sorry."  I tried not to let the tears show when I replied, "I know." 


I woke up with my lupus rash blooming.  It's painful.  I don't put any make-up on to cover it as it hurts too much.  It still isn't no where near the worst it has been.  Yes, I am overweight.  For so many reasons, and surprisingly, overeating isn't one of them. 


HELLO PEOPLE...words hurt.  They cut deep.  They can never be unheard or unsaid.  YOU CAN NEVER UNDO THE DAMAGE YOU CAUSE.  No one has the right to bully, make fun of, or hurt another with their acidic tongue.  EVER.

DO I NEED TO MAKE MYSELF MORE CLEAR?  

NO ONE has the RIGHT  to bully, make fun of or mistreat ANOTHER HUMAN BEING based upon GENDER, RACE, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, DISABILITY, or CULTURAL BACKGROUND.  

Got it? 

No comments: